About Markus Stitz
Markus is a key influencer in cycling with a social media following of more than 46,000 people. Before he became the first person to cycle around the world on a singlespeed bike in 2016, he worked in a number of marketing roles in Germany, New Zealand and the UK and has great expertise in social media and building brands.
Since returning from his round the world trip in August 2016 he works as freelance marketing consultant and content creator. He is the founder of Bikepacking Scotland, through which he works with tourism organisations to create new bikepacking and cycling routes across Scotland.
With his passion and insight knowledge he transformed the marketing of Scottish Swimming during the London Olympic and Commonwealth Games, significantly increasing the online footprint of the organisation and its engagement with members and stakeholders. During his time as Head of Marketing at Scottish Swimming was repeatedly used as best-practice example by SportScotland for its innovative use of social media.
In 2015 he was selected by Instagram as preferred user for the consistent high quality of his channel. Most recently he worked with the Borders Book Festival to devise a marketing strategy for the organisation and significantly increase their use of social media.
He is a native German speaker and writes freelance for magazines, newspapers and online publications.
Recent clients include:
- East Lothian Council
- Yellow Jersey
- Argyll and the Isles Tourism Cooperative
- Ale Water Valley Cooperative
- Borders Book Festival
- Glasgow City Council
- Made Brave
- British Swimming
- Braemar Mountain Festival
- Developing Mountain Biking in Scotland
- Social Enterprise Academy
You can sign up to occasional news from Markus here
For Bikepacking Scotland related information please subscribe here
Here is a selection of my long distance trips:
- Norway on a Tandem (2018)
- Nikwax Challenge (2018)
- Cycling Argentina and Chile (2018)
- Cycling to Germany for Christmas (2017)
- Cycling the World singlespeed (2015/16)
- Cycling on Colonsay and Mull (2015)
- Cycling to Germany and back for Christmas (2014)
- Cycling the South Coast of England (2014)
- 9 days bikepacking through the Scottish Highlands (2014)
- Cycling in Andalusia (2013/2014)
- Cycling in Northern Ireland and Ireland (2013)
- Cycling the West Coast of Scotland (2013)
- Cycling to Germany and back for Christmas (2011)
- Orkney and Western Isles (2011)
- Lands End to John o’Groats (2011)
- Cycling home to Germany in May (2011)
- Cycling to Germany for Christmas (2010)
- Cycling in New Zealand (various trips from 2007 – 2009)
- Bikepacking the Highlands and Islands of Scotland (2006)
And a few ultra endurance attempts
- Scotland Coast to Coast in 2 days (2014)
- West Highland Way in 1 day (2013)
- Edinburgh to London in 2 days (2012)
- Snowroads in Cairngorms in 1 day (2011)
- Edinburgh to Isle of Skye in 1 day (2011)
A selection of races in which I have taken part:
- UK Singlespeed Champs (2015/16)
- Capital Trail (2015/16)
- Highland Trail 550 (2014, 2015)
- Strathpuffer (2014, 2015, 2017, 2019)
- Relentless 24 (2013)
- Ten Under the Ben (2012, 2014)
- Bristol Bikefest (2014)
To get in touch please use this form here.
Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.